Monday, May 24, 2010

What is age is appropriate for clipping a kittens nails?

My kitten franki is two months old and his nails are like needles and I have scratches allllll over me. Is it safe to clip them I do my 1 yr old cat so I have done it before
Answers:
Yes it is safe to clip his nails at that age. when i first got my 2 kittens they were about 2 months old and there nails sharp as razors. I went to the store and bought a cat nail clipper and took very little off. Also if you start this young when they are adult cats it will be a little bit more easier to do it. and when i got my third kitten a few month later i started doing the same thing so he was use to it as well by the time he was an adult out of all three of my cats 2 of them stay still like they are getting a "manicure" and the other one squirms a little but not too much. Well I hope this helps you out.
Yes. You can clip the nails. Just be very careful when you do it as it may be harder to see the quick (the pink part inside the nail that will bleed if cut). Actually this may make if easier for you in the future, as the cat will get used to it now.

Use a towel to hold him and have a second person clip them.
4 m you can,t do by your self take to the grooming there are many high school they do for cheap and only the teacher do it
I started all of my cats the minute they first stabbed me with those little baby daggers! As early as 6 weeks on some.

Just make sure, for the health of the cats claws, that you are only cutting off the pointy tip of the nail and no farther back than just the tip.

Also, on baby nails I would use regular SHARP new human clippers because they work better than large pet claw clippers.

Good Luck!
I started clipping my kitten's claws at about 8 weeks... a lot of people say to wait longer because they're still growing, but the fact is, they're always growing! Just make sure they are long enough that you can clip them without nicking the quick and causing them to bleed. When you start when they are young, they become more accustomed to it and it isn't as difficult in the future. Here's a website that might be able to help you with the process: http://www.caws.org/catclaws.html...

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment