Friday, May 21, 2010

What do you think of Feline Pine?

Does it work for you? Is it smelly or unsanitary?
Answers:
One thing I would like to add, whenever you plan to change litters you may want to start with 2 litterboxes one filled with the old and one filled with the new. Let your cat pick and if you see she is using both ok then feel free to get rid of the old litter.

I can not tell you how many customers at our kennel own cats with elimination issues that can be explained/blamed on recent radical changes in litterbox fillers. And once you have an elimination issue they are very hard to get rid off. So BE CAREFUL.
My parents use it for their indoor cat, and they seem to like it more than the other types of cat litter.
I think it is unsanitary. When it gets wet, it doesn't keep the litter surface dry - it is like soggy newspaper. Just gross. And the smell is worse instead of better.
I've used it before. It worked pretty good, but my cat wasn't too fond of it. You can always give it a try. The wet waste breaks the pine pellets down to a fine almost like saw dust, then you just keep scooping out the solid stuff. To me if you cat likes it, go for it, it will reduce the amount of litter you go through and it's environmentally friendly.
I don't like it. It gets gloppy and turns into sawdust.I also don't like the attitude of their customer service.
Personally I don't like it. Its good because its dust free, blah, blah, blah...but it doesn't go very far. You have to scoop often. Urine "spreads" further in the feline pine (same with Yesterdays News brand) and you end up scooping out more of the litter. Its a bit pricey for how much you have to use. It was not very good with odor either.
I use this for my cats, and it is great. There is no artificial "air freshener" smell...

It is easy to clean, you just pick out the poop daily, and once all the pellets have turned to sawdust (because they got wet), then you empty it, and pour in new pellets.

I would not recommend buying the kind that is already in a finely chopped/dust form. My cat tracked it EVERYWHERE in the house, and it goes all over the place. The pellets aren't as bad, they are environmentally friendly, and they absorb the smell better than other litter without masking it with artificial scents.

My two cents.

But, if you do switch your cat from conventional litter to Feline Pine, I would recommend you do a half and half mixture, or at least dump some of your cat's old type of litter on top of the pine. it takes some cats a little getting used to the new feel of the pellets under their feet. my cat pooped on the floor the first time instead of in the box, but when I mixed a little of her old stuff in with the pine pellets, she got the idea.

good luck!
I use other brands of the same stuff and love it. It lasts longer than other types of litter, doesn't smell and is great for the garden.

Purrs,
The Cat Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment