Friday, May 21, 2010

What do you do, if?

your kitty has killed a mouse or bird, as a "present" for you, but, you happen to love the birds,and the mice as well?
How do you NOT show any emotion, while thanking your "little sweetie" for bringing you a great present? OR, how would you train you kitty to NOT kill those birds,and instead, be "nice" to them!?

I don't have a cat...but, I have known some kitty owners who have had this happen to them...and it breaks their heart both ways...while they want to encourage their cats, and give them positive feelback, they also really love the birds, their babies,and the mice and other animals, around!!

what would you do?
and why?

thank you!
Answers:
buy a collar with a bell to warn prey.
kill the cat
A cat is an animal, not a human you can't impose human values on a cat, so either correct the cat's behavior and train it not to bring you mice or be thankful for the furry little present.
You can't change much in evolutionary behavior. Cats carry out in ways that their huge cousins do. They usually bring huge kills back to the alpha male or female to share it with them. The kitty looks up to the individual as head of the pack so they get the kill. It's in their nature to hunt so I let them.
as far as i know, u can't change the cat's behavior. that's like u can't change people to NOT fight in school.
if it was me, i would gently hit the cat's head to show that is a bad thing, then i give it a smile..
Well first you can't train a cat not to do something especially hunting it's their natural instant to hunt.I deal with it I have 7 cats and live in the middle of no where so there's allot of wild life. And every summer and spring I get "gifts" from my cats some of them aren't gifts though (the cats eat them) which is just great to clean up because they leave some left overs for me if you know what I mean. I have red stains on my porch in my garage. You just can't stop them.


If they see something good to eat,hunt just for fun or would be a good "gift" for their owner then their gonna try to catch it.When I lived in the city they would catch little field mice and finches and other city animals and they would leave them on my door step so you just can't stop them.I deal with it because I have to and because I can't stop it. I would not tell the cats no or bad and so on because then your telling them to not go with the gut and instant. Which is not the thing to do.

Hope this helps and Good Luck
You can't do anything. Everybody will have to live with it. I also have the cats and many of the little animals are as abundant anymore. One time I found have of a baby rabbit. Boy I was mad and I knew which cat did it to. The only thing I could do was get ride of it and let that cat know I wasn't happy. But do you really think it mattered to her?! It didn't.

If you do figure it out then let me know!

Good luck!
cats do this-it's their nature. The only way to keep cats from killing the wildlife is to keep them indoors, which is better fot the cats and the wildlife!
my old cat brought my parents a half dead bird for their wedding present. on the wedding day. inside lol
I would be nice to the kitty because its kitties way of taking care of you like you do it..know what I mean?? and put a bell around its neck.. a loud one.
You cannot expect the cat to think like we human do. They are borned natural predator. Killing and hunting is their natural instint. My cat likes to bring me "present" too and I think she is so sweet of doing soo.
First of all, this is all part of a cat's nature. They are natural born hunters and these little "presents" they give you are their way of saying, "I trust you and I love, please accept my gift!" Leaving you a present is a cat's ultimate way of showing you their affection and devotion (or it's their way of saying, "I'm saving this for later!" lol). You should never spank or scold a cat for leaving you a surprise on your doorstep! Just smile, say "Thank you!" and throw the surprise in the trash while their back is turned! Believe it or not, cat's are very receptive to negative emotion and they react to it just like a human would. They do get hurt feelings! Unfortunately, it's just part of nature and survival for animals to kill other animals. Personally, I'm glad that my babies would kill a mouse for me. I have a strong aversion to mice in my house and there hasn't been one in my house since I got my babies! Smart mice! :) They smell the cats and stay gone, lol! I hope that this has helped in some way! Good luck!
when I see my cats stalking birds in the garden, I run out making lots of noise to scare the birdies off for their own safety.
the cats always give me filthy looks for doing this but I can live with that.
Well actually there's not much you can do its thier nature . so the only way to resolve this problem I think would get rid of the kitty
I'm a cat breeder and there is nothing u can do to make the cats stop except keep it indoors. It's there nature. SOrry
As a farm girl I just dispose of the body. If you have a cat you need to deal with their instincts, and that is to help feed everyone they love.
cats are wild. its their instinct to kill an animal that they think is threatening them or bothering them. they also keep the rodent populatio down as well. my cat has killed numerous gophers, mice, king snakes and rattle snakes, and dont ask me how, but a humming bird as well. if you REALLY cant handle it, do not buy a cat, and if you really want one, keep it ondoors(although i am highly against someone who keeps their cat indoors) got to choose whether you rather have a loving kitty, or rats, mice, snakes and gophers. dont ridicule your cat for kiiling them, it is good incase they get lost and have to hunt 4 themselves. be thankfull of you kitty.
If a cat has done that you can feel happy but annoyyed at the same time. The fact that they gave you it is kinda sweet. But kiling a smaller creature is not nice. All you need to do is point your finger at them and bob down to there hight, tell them off like this . . . "___________, don't ever do that again!" Say it in a strong voice but stroke there head(or wat ever they like) if not tie a bell around there neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment