Friday, May 21, 2010

What do I do with my beautiful cat That Is sick?

My cat has been diagnosed with FIP which is a deadly disease when it comes to felines, and I never realized how much this would affect me till I realized that there is nothing I could do to help him..or at least that's what they say. I've only gotten 1 opinoun...I don't know whether to bring my baby home and spend as much time with him as possible (I'll force feed him, give him his medications everyday if need be) OR let him down in peace..Maybe i'm being alittle selfish? But, there have been people who have been told they would die within a month or two and are still living..how can I trust one person's diagnosis? What kind of person would I be if I didn't follow my instincts and just give up on this life...that's not human, but is still closer to me than most people I know? I miss him...and I would do the same for anyone (feline or person) that I love..I think I;ll bring him home and spend as much time with him as possible, and IF/when he starts getting worse then I will let him go, but only when I'm ready...because I'm not ready right now..I've been through many up's %26 down's in relationships, Friend's in general, life, etc, etc, and he has been my one and only constant, it's never changed for Pepper (pep-pep) and I...he has always been 150% with me. My heart's torn right now cause I want the best for him, but I 'm scared of the thought of letting him go?..
Answers:
I feel for your situation more that you can imagine. I have another message board on my cat; refer to my name. It is hard to decide what to do but it should be in the interest of your cat. I am stupid to say that because I couldn't let mine go. I might not be one to advise you because I just posed my situation and I am in tears about it, although it happened over 10 years ago. My cat was my best friend and what I had sated as a "lover" because he was so affectionate to me and I loved him as I would have a person. I suppose you should take the advice of a vet, yet we rarely want to realize that. I am so very sorry of your situation which is why I am writing you. The loss you will experience in either way will be devastating and will never leave you. No matter what you choose, you will have lost a best friend and will cry over it, in my case now over 10 years. I will never get over it and I suppose if you love yours as I did mine, you will suffer any decision as long as you are alive.

I hope that I will see mine when I am gone. That gives me the only hope I have. Still, I continue to think of him always. I had him cremated and he is with me. Nothing can make your decision easy and nothing will make you forget.

I wish you the best.

Jon
Bringing him home, and deciding to let him go when he gets worse, is perfectly reasonable. You need time to take this all in. Also, if it helps, go to another vet for a second opinion. That's always a good idea when given a critical diagnosis, whether you are a cat, dog or human being. You don't have to decide this based on a single opinion. But if your vet is right and it is FIP, I'm sorry to say there's not much you can do besides love him.
Do what feels right to you and don't let anyone make you feel bad about it.
well first of all if it was me i would go to another vet to see if there was anything they might be able to do and if not i would put the little guy down. Its not if your ready its if he is some animals who know they are going to die just give up and want to. so if you see this in him like not eating, just laying around, looking like they want to give up just let him be put down its the best thing instead of being in pain and suffering. it will be hard but it the right thing to do so that he doesnt suffer
sorry
My heart bleeds for you, having to make this decision. Having had a 7 month old cat with FIP, I know just what you are feeling right now. Wanting to keep him with you as long as is possible is not selfish, we all want to keep those we love close to us for as long as possible. I brought my little boy home with me after the diagnosis, and had him with me until I knew it was time for him to go. It truly is a horrendous experience, and it is heartbreaking, knowing that there is nothing you can do to help him. I spent as much time with my little Xandor as I possibly could, and because I do not work outside of the home, was able to be with him 24/7. He had become very clingy, so I made him a little basket with a pillow, and would carry him around when I had to leave the room. He had the wet form, and I had the fluid drained a few times as well, just to try and prolong his life. I am sure you will know when it is time to say goodbye to him, and until then, just show him that you love him, and try to make his life as good as it can be. When Xandor was diagnosed, I did a lot of research on FIP, and found that there was no cure, and that death was inevitable. I think the only consolation that I had throughout the months after his death was that I had saved him from more suffering, and that one day he would meet me again, and thank me for loving him enough to let him go. Don't feel guilty after he is gone, he knows you love him, and want to help him.My thoughts will be with you, in what I know is a very difficult time.
FIP is not a good way to go. If he was my cat, I would choose euthanasia because living will only be torture for him and the torture will end in death.

I've a had two cats with terminal illnesses and I've not regretted euthanizing them. What I have regretted is that I didn't euthanize them sooner and that they suffered more than they had to. I do understand what a difficult decision euthanizing a well loved pet can be. There are soooo many times our whole staff has just wished a pet would pass away on it's own because we hate seeing it suffer and the owner cannot make the decision to euthanize the pet. It's really heartbreaking.

Euthanasia truly is kind. The pet is given an injection, their body relaxes and they simply "go to the angels". I wish that it could be as easy for us, as people, when our times come.

Here is a website with a really pretty song on it. It has nothing to do with cats, it actually has to do with babies, but it's a touching song about loss and you're question made me think about it. Hopefully it won't depress you even more.

http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.com/...
FIP is a disease created by the cat鈥檚 own immune system. Immunosuppressive drugs such as prednisone and cyclophosphamide have been used to slow the progression of FIP.
try talking to another vet?
do what your heart tells you! =)
I would give him a little more time.

We took our 4 month old kittens to be spade and one was really funny after the op. We kept going back to the vet and the tried a few different things, 1 week after the spading she had to have an operation on her bowel that had turned on itself. Two days after the op she seemed so bad they said that we need to decide what we wan't to do (they were basically telling us she wan't going to make it).

We said we wanted to give her more time and over the next few days we visited her daily and took in her food we had been feeding at home, het food bowl and after a week she had gotten a little better so they said she could come home.

Its now 4 months on and she is good as gold and acting like a crazy little kitten.

I know that the situation is different but the professionals arn't always right. Bring him home and look after him but be realistic that if he doesn't start to improve or he detiorates quickly, be kind and cherish what time you had with him.

Wish you and the little one all the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment