Friday, May 21, 2010

What does conjunctivitis (cat pink eye) do if untreated?

I dont know what to do with my kitty. He has had conjunctivitis since the 7 or something. I scheduled a Vet day a while back, but they could only take him in on the 19th. I thought that was far away from the date it was that day, and I thought that his pink eye would just clear up and go away on its own. But, it hasnt, and its already the 14th. I continue to put a warm cloth on his eyes, and rub out the "nastys". But nothings working, can something bad-health wise-happen between those 5 days? I am very worried about my cat. Please answer. :(
Answers:
He'll be uncomfortable, and the virus or bacteria causing the trouble will get worse, but he shouldn't have any permanent issues from waiting. I do suggest calling around to see if anyone can get you in sooner, though, to save him the hassle of his eyes feeling terrible. Cleaning them the way you are is probably helping a lot, what he needs now is a confirmed diagnosis and some medication.
It will do the same thing untreated pink eye would do to us, annoy the crap out of you and make you miserable. If left untreated for really extended periods of time I am sure it could cause ulcers in the eye. What kind of vet doesn't have an opening for 2 weeks geesh , call around and see if you can't get him in sooner .
"If the problem persists for more than a day or two, or if the discharge is thick, yellowish, or greenish, see a veterinarian. Ulcers can cause the loss of an eye. If the problem is chronic and has been diagnosed as herpes...lysine and eyedrops are a safe therapeutic measure. Jean Hovfe, DVM.

Use "Tears Renewed" available in drug stores. 1 to 2 drops, three or four times a day.

Lysine: 250 to 500 milligrams twice a day for up to five days for an acute episode. Break open the capsule and mix the contents into the food.

Since you don't know if the condition is herpes or not at least the use of the eye drops may give the kitty some relief from discomfort and/or pain.

Do see if he can be seen sooner by the vet as his eyesight may be in jeopardy.
I while back I had some kittens that had that problem. I think it is contagious among cats. I called the vet and they said to dilute salt in warm water and clean their eyes with it. Use something sterile like cotton wool. Once you do this throw out the cotton wool, wash the container and wash your hands. They got over it. More recently my cat had it. i used the same method but it was getting worse. i took her to the vet who prescribed some drops that had to be put in five times a day. I was working full time so I didn't use it as often as prescribed on weekdays. It worked. She got it again months later. I used the salt in warm water treatment and she got better. If the vet gives you eye drops, if there is any left after the treatment, throw it out. You can't use it again months later, like human eye drops.

No comments:

Post a Comment