Friday, May 21, 2010

What do possums eat??

My son found a possum hanging on his gate when the last heavy rain came. We are trying to raise it. We are giving it kitten milk now. I am not sure when we should start feeding it other stuff. any suggestions?
Answers:
I live on a farm and we have had possums eat our chicken eggs before, So try raw eggs or cooked eggs. I think they will pretty much eat anything, scavengers. I would even try dog food.
why in the hell would you want to keep a possum, these things are just like buzzards will eat anything dead it might even have rabies be careful and get rid of the nasty creature
take it to a vet and get it checked out first thing!! they really like rotten food with lots of maggots. they are filthy beasts not pets just so you know!
i have raised baby possums before. they are adorable, and make great pets. we started them on kitten milk, then moved to raw kitchen scraps. they will eat almost anything including store bought pet foods. they do love raw eggs. when the possum gets bigger you might want to consider leaving the cage open at night and letting it leave. this makes for a very happy possum. eventually the possum will not return, but will live out its days in the wild. one of ours came back after being gone for 2 yrs. good luck to you.
If it's a baby probably feed it milk for a while, But possum's usually eat fruit. I'm not too sure. Any injured ones I've ever found I've taken them to the vet, I suggest you should they could give you tips. They might want to take it though, are there laws on keeping possums?
Possums carry rabies and ticks.And ticks carry diseases that can last a long time. Lime disease is one of them and rocky mountain disease and I could go on. Rabies is not a good thing to get. They are very mean animals. I just wanted you to know this because where I live they can get very vicious and they can bite. They eat dry cat food because I had a cat and he would step aside when they would come around in the back yard and they would eat the cats food and they can get as big as a medium size dog. If I were you I would call the Humane Society to come and get it so they can send it some where else. Here where I live they take them back up to the mountains.
Opossums are unintelligent creatures (they eat cockroaches by choice -- 'nuff said), but are innocuous and harmless almost to a fault. They carry fewer diseases than the average household pet, and have a greater resistance to rabies than any other wild or domestic animal living around you. They are also immune to the venom of most pit vipers (rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths, and the like). Scientists are studying the opossum's ability to neutralize venom, as well as its resistance to rabies, in hopes of learning how to enhance the immune system in humans. Meanwhile, opossums go about dining on venomous snakes as if this were the most ordinary of activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment