Monday, May 24, 2010

What else can you give your cats or kittens to drink other than water?

I know that you shouldnt give them cows milk and you can get the special cat milk but is there anything else you can give them other than that or water that obviously isnt bad for them! My kitten has started drinking my boyfriends coffee when hes left it!
Answers:
anything other than water, can make them sick
We have had kittens for 6 days now and so far i've caught them drinking my coffee, lemonade, my grandad's tea, my daughters milk, pink grapefruit squash, fresh cream and orange juice!

I only put water down for them as milk is a little rich and i'm not sure i want to start forking out on cats milk in case they then turn up their nose at water which we all know is good for us, cats and people!
Just water and not any milk unless they are really young and depend on it will just give them diarrhea. If the cats starts to drink the coffee then take the cup away and dump it in the sink.
Maybe your kitten like his Folgers in the morning too.
my cat always tries to drink my green tea...i don't let him but for some reason he ony goes for that. green tea is good for us, and might be good for them too, but it might make kitty sick as well. i'm sure it would be better for them than coffee though
whiskas kitten milk is good.
Not keen on pets sharing crockery with me. They have some disgusting personal habits and can pass worms and bugs on to you. Watch the sugar intake, not good for cats or dogs. They don't salivate or clean their teeth the same as us. Water is fine, they are happy with that and don't have your desire to drink different liquids. Cats and dogs prefer brackish, slightly salty, water that we would regard as unclean. Whatever you give the cat it will drink from puddles and other rainfall sources.
my cat drinks water and very occasionally a saucer of milk. She seems to prefer rainwater that collects in a couple of dishes I have in the garden rather than the tap water I give her indoors.
it is best to give them only water and defo not the coffee
Anything other than water is generally not good. Cows milk isn't good either, but it's sweet so they love it. Like dogs love chocolate, which can kill them. If the coffee has milk in it, that's probably what they are after. It has a strong smell and my dog thought that he wanted coffee until I actually showed him what it is. They are attracted to the strong smell, and if there's milk in it too, then you will have to try to keep it away from them. Hot coffee could also cause burns, so please be careful.
I have always used watered down milk when they are kittens and cows milk after a year it has never done them any harm my oldest cat is now 18 years old and she sill loves her milk
What do you feed your kitten? A lot of cats get their required amount of water through the food rather than from drinking. If you're feeding dry, switch to canned and see what happens.

And please, use good healthy food, not the grocery store or Wally World stuff.
You can give a cat cows milk. My cat drinks it every day and she turned 17 years old yesterday.
My kitten is now jst over 6months old, I have been giving him mainly water and sometimes milk as a treat, he loves it loads but as he only has it occasionaly he doesn't turn his nose on water. I was a bit hesitant at first, as to whether i shud start giving him cat milk, but now i can say that it was a good decision, cos it is, indeed good for them to drink water, but just as humans, they need calcium for their lil bones.
Don't let it drink coffee 'Cos is not only bad for us it's also bad for animals. Generally speaking no, cats shouldn't drink milk. Most cats are lactose (which are sugars in milk) intolerant %26 drinking milk may result in an upset tummy %26 cause diarrhoea.
I have a cat and I give it only water. No harm.
Kittens will try tasting lots of things , but some things aren't good for them. (like coffee). Maybe she was thirsty and out of water? Keep fresh water available always. Also, cats will drink more water if in a stainless steel or glass bowl rather than a plastic one - tastes better! Encourage water drinking to help prevent urinary problems (which are common %26 very painful to cats). When I open a can of tuna packed in water, I give my cats some of that liquid, with a few bits of tuna in it %26 they love it. They might also like clam juice as an occasional treat. Don't give canned chicken broth as it is prepared with onion for flavoring %26 onion can cause anemia in cats. Homemade plain chicken broth is ok. Milk can cause diarrhea. Whenever a cat is sick %26 has diarrhea or is dehydrated, you can give them plain Pedialyte (found in the baby section of grocery or drugstore) to help them rehydrate, but they don't need that otherwise.
Well I know people who put a little vinegar in there water to clean out there system but im talking like a tablespoon to a gallon of water. Milk isnt good for them because it can make them really sick. I give mine tuna juice whenever I eat tuna its really good for them and they really enjoy it (duh its fish =) But other then that you really arent supposed to give them anything else.

*** Also things like chicken brooth they can have too because alot of that is just water.


****My vet said never give your animals Pedialyte. It isnt good for them and sometimes does more bad then good. If you want to rehydrate them you can give them gadorade (sp) which is what my vet said to give them if they go outside in the heat.
I wonder what kind of cat I have got. He likes milk, coffee, tea and I cannot leave my cognac on the table!
I'm not sure he has ever drunk water.
anyway he is seven years old and looks pretty good and healthy.
Cat's don't require anything other than water to drink. The special cat milk is ok, but a lot of cat's don't like it and it can be a waste of money. Milk from herbivores (cows, sheep, goats, etc) is not formulated for a carnivore to drink. Not only is the lactose content too high and will give them diarrhea, but the protein and fat is too low, and the calcium to phosphate ratio is out of wack.

Keep him away from the coffee. He's probably interested because it's something different. The caffeine it contains is toxic to cat's and can be fatal. I can't remember the exact amount that is fatal, but better to err on the side of caution.

It could be that he's bored drinking water out of a dish. You can try getting one of those cat water fountains - it's a water dish that re-circulates the water constantly so the water is always moving. Also, a lot of cats prefer to drink running water, rather than from a bowl. Many owners have found their cats drinking from leaky faucets or the drip from the shower after they've taken one.

*edit*
JC is correct about the broth. They almost always contain onion and/or garlic flavor ingredients, both of which are toxic to cats, as well. As far as Pedialyte and Gatorade, they are essentially the same thing - electrolytes suspended in a sweet medium for taste. Neither should be used for regular consumption, though, as they are intended for dehydration.
Our cat like to drink my husbands water which he takes to bed of an evening-she comes in of a morning and it's the first thing she wants. She also likes orange cordial so yeah they are a bit wierd!!

As a treat we give her Kitty milk, Waitrose do a great one, Felix and Whiskers. it is expensive and just use it as a treat!!
kitten milk
it can be obtained i believe form Tescos or any petsmart

they lap it up
My cat has milk and water and she has no toilet problems whatsoever. I also treat her to cream occasionally as a treat and that has never upset her stomach either. The only thing that has made her ill is when she has had food off me and my partner, some of the meat has been too rich for her. I agree some cats are less tolerant to dairy products but fortunately my cat seems fine else i wouldn't allow her to drink any. I agree though the best thing for a cat to drink is water, theres nothing in that which will make your cat poorly.
As long as it does not make her sick. let her get on with it. A little bit of what you fancy does you good. My cat eats cake crumbs and in fact anything left over on my plate. ice cream, potatoes, veg. salad, and especially crisps. I don't give it to her but ....
you can give them evaporated milk just water it down a bit as it is quite thick.
my cat loves it
i give them evaporated milk sometimes but in small doses as it will give them the runs. mostly just give bottled water.17 p per 2 liter at tesco.

you can also try a can of tuna in springwater...some cats like the water if you don't drain it completely.

you can also try the chicken or beef broth...consumee or something.its a clear soup.good if they are sick or you just want to try something else. check the ingredients though...the cheap stuff is just salt water with flavoring.
you can purchase products such as lactol or cimicat both are powders that you make up like baby formula - i hand reared one of mine on cimicat he is one of the healthiest cats around great coat, teeth, bones general all round fit and healthy, do you have his/her water next to the food if so move it away - preferably another room (where it has 24 hour access to the water) this encourages them to drink more - the kitten can probably smell milk in your boyfriends coffee cows milk should never be given it will give them diahorrea draining the kitten of nutrients, and as a result dehydration can occur
just water - that's all they need

No comments:

Post a Comment