Friday, July 31, 2009

What can I do about a cat who loves to chew on shoes?

It doesn't matter what kind of shoe it is, he just loved to chew them. He has ruined a couple of my favorite shoes. I have to keep my closet shut at all times. I have had a lot af cats in my life but this is the first for me. Sometimes I think that he is a dog. HELP!!
Answers:
my 2 year old cat licks my shoes as soon as I take em off.home from work sticks her head right in and licks away.. very gross.. but only last for 2 mintues lucky

he needs more entertainment.. nothing shoe shaped or he will think it's ok to chew ALL shoes. Keep toys away from your closed closet. sprinkle some pepper on your shoes, that will disencourage him, spray your shoes with an odour elimater.. it's your smell he's attracted to, then it's the play of chewing that keeps him there.
Maybe you could try some of that "no scratch" on them, or around your closed, maybe the cat would not go in with that on there. My cat is also weird, she barks and carys socks all over the house (which is why we have so many mis-matches) LOL GL!
Try introducing some 'toys' for your cat..like toy mice with catnip in them. Also, get a cat scratching pad with some feathers and lightweight balls on for it to play with.
Good luck!! :)
It is probably the odor from the shoes. Anyways you are already doing the right thing by keeping your closet door shut.

Sometimes if you just think it out, you can figure out why the cat loves to chew shoes.

Like, were all the shoes that were chewed only yours?
Were all the shoes that were chewed made of the same kind of material? Same age? Same style?

Bottom line is, this could just be a bad habit that you are already breaking the cat of by keeping the shoes away from him.

That might be the only thing you can do.
Had the same problem with TWO of my cats! I ended up sprinkling pepper (red, black, onion...etc) on the shoes in order to get them to stop. Wipes right off when you need to wear them and doesn't stain carpet... cats got the picture and didn't mess with them after about a week.
Keep your shoes in your closet and the door shut (you should anyway) and provide your cat with a shoe to chew on. My previous cat (passed away at 19) used to steal and destroy socks, so I learned just to give her some socks and get a laundry basket with a top. She only stole socks made of certain materials. Weird. One of my current 6 month old kittens steals washcloths and now towels. Doesn't matter what. If she can pull it, it's gone. I find them under everything. She doesn't wreck anything, so I just let her be happy. I can always get a clean one from the linen closet.
Like the answer before me, give your cat some toys. Also, I have a cat who lover to get ontop of our counters and chew the mini bamboo and other plants. What I do is spray them with a ninety-seven cent spray bottle from wal-mart. It works every time. Hope this works on your shoe problem, (not yours, the cats,) Good Luck! -question001
I have one cat that will chew on my shoes if left out. The only effective thing that I have found is to put them in the closet and close the door. Sorry.
There are many products on the market to stop animals from chewing on things. One that I have found to be effective is one that (supposedly, i didn't taste it so i don't know for sure) tastes like green apple, it comes in a spray form, and you could probably spray high enough over the shoes to not make any marks on them.
Another idea is to put a cup of vinegar in the closet, the cats don't like the smell; or something with citrus in it. I know my cats hate citrus smelling cleaners and tea tree oil.
Just find something they don't like the smell of, bonus if its something you DO like the smell of... somethings will also help deodorize your shoes!
Good luck
buy some training spray that stops animals from chewing on things. spray it on the shoes so the cat will learn by experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment