Friday, July 31, 2009

What are some things to do to eliminate allergy problems in your home for your cat/cats?

thanx.
Answers:
Hmmm...for your cat?

Unless you know specifically what your cat is allergic to and can remove that item, I'd suggest general allergy control measures:

Get rid of carpeting - wood, linoleum or tile flooring is much easier to keep clean and won't hold onto dust, dander, dust mites, pollen, mold spores, etc. like carpet will. Carpeting is HORRIBLE for allergies. If you rent and can't get rid of your carpeting, get an allergen-reducer spray %26 use it regularly. Febreze makes one, or you can find them at allergy-supply retailers.

Adopt a minimalist decor style - it will be easier to keep clean. Try to minimize the amount of unwashable fabric surfaces in your home - it's better to keep things that can be wiped clean or washed, to reduce the amount of dust %26 pollen in your home.

Vacuum frequently and thoroughly. Don't forget to vacuum the walls, too.

Put a washable couch cover on your couch if you have a fabric-covered couch, and wash it regularly.

Use air cleaners, and change your home air-conditioning/heating air filter regularly.

Use allergy covers on your mattress %26 pillows, and wash bedding regularly.

Avoid using scented products %26 chemicals to clean %26 fragrance your home - use natural cleaners from the health-food store, or vinegar %26 baking-soda homemade cleansers (look up homemade cleansers online - there are many recipes avaialbe) DON'T use anything containing Tea Tree Oil - Tea Tree Oil is poisonous to cats.

If your cat will tolerate it, try switching cat litters to an unscented, dust-free variety. Feline Pine, World's Best, Yesterday's News, Nature's Miracle, and most other natural litters produce far less irritating dust than clay-based litters. Make any litter change gradually, carefully following the packaging instructions, to avoid litterbox aversion.

Consider getting your cat tested for allergies to find out specifically what's bothering it.

Hope this helps!
Pull out your carpets and put in hardwood floors...expensive, yes...but so worth it!!
Clean your house alot. Take them to the vet and see exactly what it is that they are allergic to. It may be a food allergy or a house hold allergy. Good Luck.
kill the cat...duh
Febreeze Allergin - works wonders for me. I spray curtains, my bed clothes, the couch, where ever I come in contact w/ their hair.

I have 3 indoor cats and am allergic to them.

Also there is a carpet spray for pet allergens that you spray on and vacuum up. I think it's by Arm %26 Hammer.

And get a vacuum with a hepa filter - I have a dirt devil, it picks up hair that I don't even see. And it's not that expensive - well worth it to me!
I agree with Jessica. My mom's allergies were out of control but they've gotten better since we removed all of the carpets.
I have 2 cats and discovered I was allergic about 2 days into them. I did a lot of research on the internet and there are many options, I chose to take advantage of most of them. There are several allergy sites on the net with great info, allergybuyers.com is one of them. the allergy is due to a protein in their saliva, not the actual hair itself, so dont let the cat get too close to your face or lick your face. there are special detergents for your laundry, substance to place on your furniture to cut down the allergens, and allerpet to place on the animal to cut down the allergens and pet wipes that can cut down the allergens. I also got a true hepa vacuum and multiple top brand air purifiers to place in my home. It cost me a ton of money, but I really wanted to keep these cats. The main expense was the vacuum and the air purifiers, the rest of it is very affordable. I am now very comfortable except when they get right in my face, then I sneeze or cough a bit and my eyes get itchy. If you have bad allergies, get a handle on it or you could develop chronic problems for which there is no cure. the others are right on about the carpets also. pull them out if you can. leather couches are better than fabric as well
I never really thought too much about cats having allergies but they are not really different to us in many disease susceptibilities - sadly. This is the modern world we live in.

Here is an article that might help you from the Cat Fanciers Association:
http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/medical...

Make sure your cat doesn't have fleas because I think I remember reading a long time ago about a connection between fleas and allergies in cats. You can get the spot-on treatments like advantage, or if they proved allergic to the chemicals there are herbal alternatives from large pet stores.

This link covers herbal anti-allergy remedies for pets also:
http://www.naturalpetmarket.com/category...

I think a fish oil supplement containing Omega 3 would be great if they have dry skin or eczema with itching in relation to allergies. I also know of someone whose cat sought out and ate Brewers Yeast tablets (the type you find in an health store and are rich in B Vitamins). The cat apparently ate one that had dropped on the floor. So the cat owner continued feeding the cat Brewers Yeast and it apparently kept the cats eczema under control. So the cat knew what was good for her :)

I also think that removing carpets would help. They would certainly help to keep fleas at bay, which could be a big trigger of allergies in cats, from the flea dirt.

Get your cats some catnip also. this is a great herbal for cats. It might help.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment