Friday, July 31, 2009

What bit my cat?

Okay, I live in central Texas and I own a young cat. We live on the edge of the woods with snakes, scorpions, raccoons and other stray cats. Today at about oclock, I saw the own of my cats hind legs was mildly swollen. She was limping a little, but I couldn't see an open wound so I figured a scorpion got her. Just a few minutes ago, (4:45) I saw that the swelling had increased significantly, and she was limping horribly. I saw there was a circle sized wound on her leg above her foot and there was a bit of mucus draining from it. She won't let me touch her leg at all. I can't afford another vet visit but I'll go if it's life threatening. What do you think got her?
Answers:
This sounds like a cat bite abscess. The reason I say this is because when cats are bitten by snakes and other little animals like that, they tend to get bit in the front paw. This is because cats tend to paw at their "pray".
However, they tend to get bit alot in the rear by other cats during cat fights. Alot of times they are bit when they stop fighting and are in the process of running away-at that point, their defenses are down and the other cat moves in.
Also, the oozyness and the swelling are very consistent with a cat bite abscess.
But...any of the things you mentioned could be possible. I am in NC, so I am not familiar with the toxic effects of venom with snakes and scorpions in your area, so you should take your kitty to the vet for pain meds, antibiotics and wound care.

FYI- like I said, cats tend to get snake bit in the front paws because they paw at their little victims.
Dogs, however, get bit in the noses and faces because they tend to stick their noses where it doesn't belong.
I live in central Texas, too. I am thinking it is probably a snake or spider bite and I would take her to the vet. Good luck.
Who knows what it could of been since you live in Texas. Texas has a lot of poisionous things there. Sounds pretty bad too. I'd take it to the vet, better safe then sorry, especially with small animals, who most consider family.

No comments:

Post a Comment