Friday, July 31, 2009

What are cats fascination with laying on papers?

It is so weird.
Answers:
Laying on papers, sleeping in boxes, it's a cat thing. Mine like to "carpet surf" so they run and jump on a stack of papers and go sliding across the carpet. Cat's idea of fun. I think they were laughing into their whiskers.
Yeah, mine does that too. She likes to sleep on newspapers and blue jeans. Weird.
Cats like paper for the same reason that bums use newspaper to line their coats, it holds in warmth! Cat's are experts at finding the warmest thing in the room.
It may have something to do with heat, you probably have seen cats sun themselves. I imagine the papers help hold their body heat and they like the heat from them. Paper makes a good insulator.
the cat i used to have like 10 years ago would always lay on my homework purring, and when i moved him he came right back and got in my way! gotta love them tho!
Cats can't read, and they don't want you to, either.

Seriously, though, I think it's because they see you paying attention to the paper, and they want to divert the attention to themselves. And I think some cats enjoy the feel of paper or the noise it makes when they walk or lie on it.
??? i have 2 cats %26%26 their obsessed with newspaper!!!
Guess it depends, if I'm reading the paper and get up, most time when I get back they are lying on top of it. I think they get jealous and they think its their competition for your attention. But sometimes when I have papers to recycle they seem to find them excititng. Just like when papers are in boxes for moving, thats a great thrill for them!
like homeless people use as blankets, good insulators, keeps them warm
Yes I definitely think it's a jealousy thing. Cats just want to get in the middle of everything you are doing. When I am reading the papers, they'll flop right on top of it and ask for a scratch. When I leave two sets of papers on the floor, (an old copy as a distraction), they still flop over to the one I am on. I live in Singapore and have two ragdolls so they're more concerned about keeping cool that keeping warm so I don't think it's about trapping heat at all.
i don't think its for warmth. if they are in the house and from your question that's what it sounds like, you have heat on when cold and a/c on if its hot. their fur coats control body temp.

i agree its to get your attention on them. i have to calico females. they do this to me all the time. when they decide they want to be petted, they don't want me doing anything else but petting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment