Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Very picky kitty?

trosky is 6 years old and has always been a picky eater from the start.thought that maybe he would settle down and be less pickier as he gets older but unfortunately...NO.have tried given him every single cat food there is,wet or dry/canned or non-canned = ) lol

...what else should i do?
Answers:
my God i know what this feels like! my cat will be 9 years this month and it will be the 9th year (and also last if i have my way) and having to throw his food out.
so, after long long years, i finally started buying the smallest tins of cat food possible. they are a bit more expensive but better i spend a little bit more and he eats it all then throwing it out.
i now empty the tin into a dish and put it next to the water for him. he usually takes a few bites and leaves it there. so i cover the dish and put it in the fridge until he comes back meawing for more. i give him his dish back and he nibbles a lit more. this goes on until he finishes the food. i do not offer anything else, even if he paws the floor (meaning yukk) or just walks away. when he finishes (sometimes it take a day or two!) the food, then i fill up a dish with dry food so i alternate. it takes a lot of patience, but at least i don't throw out food anymore. i love my cat (a silver persian) but enough was enough. this seems to be working for now. when they are hungry they will eat don't worry.
give him only one kind for a week and maybe he will not be so picky.
it is hard when a pet becomes a picky eater just like a person gets.
he will not starve he will eat what you give him when he is really hungry.
He must be eating something or he'd have never made it to be 6 years old. Just stick to one kind of food. Stop changing it. He'll get used to it. My cat is picky too. She'll eat nothing but her dry Purina cat chow.
By the way, love the cat's name. Where did you get it from?
Have you asked your vet? They might be able to give you a
few suggestions. Or try making his cat food? I've known
a few people who make their cats food. My mom used to
have a very picky cat, she would only eat dry walmart brand
cat food. I tried giving her a treat of wet name brand cat food
and she sniffed it, looked at me like what were you thinking,
stuck her nose up in the air, turned around, stuck her tail
straight up in the air and walked away.
I am the same way. Out of the millions of canned diets on the market, my kids will eat 4. My husband got so mad at me. I went to the store and bought 1 of every can of food they had. Then I rated them to how much they liked them. I settled on the four liked best. I purchased those for about 1 year and guess what. Their taste changed and they would not eat that. I decided to buy science diet regular hard food and that is their main meal. Then I supplement 1/2 can of food in the morning and 1/2 can of food at night. If they get hungry, I know that they will eat. Of course, they are spoiled and every once in a while, I will get a can of chicken and chop it in the chopper for them. I have 11 cats and 1 dog, so I have to watch carefully to make sure that everyone is eating. lol
Our cat was really picky too and i think it's because we gave her a wide range of choice as a kitten.
She would only eat Whiskers in gravy.
When she got pregnant she was so hungry she would eat anything - now we feed her anything and if ya leave it long enough she'll eat it""

No comments:

Post a Comment