Sunday, August 2, 2009

What color cat has the best temperament? i want a male .asking anyone w/lots of experience(breeders, groomers)

i heard that color affects temperament in cats. i would like to get a male kitten who will have a better chance of growing up to be affectionate, laid back and sweet . i will get an american shorthair at the pound..no purebreds for me. i would appreciate answers from those who have had lots of exposure to cats(breeders, groomers vets, ). one or two cat experiences per person will be less objective. i already have a color in mind because there seems to be agreement out there that this color cat is the friendliest. wondering if i will get the same response here.
Answers:
Well, I'm partial to male orange tabbies. They tend to be big sweet doofuses.

The office cat at the vet hospital where I work is a long-haired orange tabby who came to us off the streets five years ago. Roger has a basket on the receptionist's desk, and greets everyone who comes in. Somehow he knows which dogs to approach and which to stay away from, and he is amiable to all the cats that come in. I've seen him go up to the cages of frightened cats and make chuckling and chirping sounds that seem to help calm them, and when someone has to have a pet euthanized he will go and get up in the grieving owner's lap or sit with them.

So my vote is for orange tabby boys.
long haired cats are generally more laid back than short haired theres plenty of long haired ones at the pound tho! white cats sometimes are born deaf so if you chose this color make sure you know it isnt or if it is your willing to take on this kind of thing. calico cats are always girls so that ones out if you want a male. black cats seem to be more subdued than other colors maybe that just the ones ive seen though. i have a persian rag doll mix that i got from a free kitten box outside of a pet store when i had just planned of getting food lol! and shes been the sweetest most docile cat ive ever owned.
I have never heard that color has relation to the temperament of a cat...I have a black %26 white male DSH and he is extremely affectionate and playful. He will play with anything that moves, is very inquisitive, %26 loves to explore; but he also enjoys just sitting in your lap while you watch TV or sleeping on your back while you take a nap. He just likes being with people. He gets along quite well with the family's Golden Retriever. He's the coolest cat I've ever met.
From experience I would say that color doesn't affect personality to a large degree. Some people believe in the breed stereotypes but they aren't completely true. Of course some follow the rules. You just have to meet a lot of different cats until you find the right one. You'll know as soon has you pick him up if he belongs with you.
,,,Iwouldnt get a black cat if i were you,of all tthe black cats that ive known they had demonic tendancies,if I went to pet one it immidiatly went sraight for my face and another one would hiss and try desperatly to attack me..
It doesn't actually make a difference what colour the cat is, the temperament will be the same. I've had lots of cats in my short lifetime and I've dealt with a lot of cats in the practice where I work and I've never notcied any connection between colours and temperaments.

If you're looking for a cat with an affectionate, laid back and sweet temperament, then I would definitely go for a female cat instead. Males tend to be more agressive, even after neutering, whereas females tend to be more docile. If you're worried about having to take care of kittens, you could always get the cat spayed(female neuter). It might not be as simple as castration(male neuter), but it's still a very straightforward operation done by vets at least once a day. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few female cats in the pound that are already neutered.

Best of luck in your cat hunt.
I have never heard of color affecting the personality of a cat. Growing up I had a long haired black cat that was pretty stand offish around most people, and only liked to attention when he wanted it. Now I have a short haired black cat who is extremely affectionate and has a great temperament. I also have a calico who is stubborn and has a bad temper lol.
any coloured cat has a good temperament, if said cat is inclined in the moment to have a good temperament. all cats are marvelous creatures.
I wish you could tell me where you heard that from. I have had cats for 35 yrs of my life. I have now a pitch black female rescue and she's very affectionate and guards from all violence in the house. For instance, when my 2 large dogs wrestle and it goes too far, she comes running in and starts swinging them paws and breaks it up, or if someones at the door she's the first one to greet and won't back down. My other is a long hair himalayan--I have to admit the most dumbest, talkative, very-very lazy, super cuddly cat i've ever owned and wouldn't get rid of her if i was homeless. She will bathe you from head to toe if you let her. Females are my favorite-just make sure you please have it fixed. All the males i've had are more active, get bored and tend to spray in certain areas around the house. Not all my males did but more so than not. Males are roamers at heart, thats what they do, roam, stalk and prey from a string on the floor to the mouse outside or another cat. If a male smells a female in heat (from more than a mile away), it will drive him crazy! Females to me are the best way to go.
The color of the cat does not effect its temperment however males do tend to be a little more laid back. The truth is that a cat will really take on the personallity of its owner. I know that sounds weird but it is true. My family has two cats that were litter mates and both males, affectionate, and laid back but they have differences to that don't have anything to do with color. My cat is and has some of my personality; loveable and friendly around people he knows and shy around people he doesn't. My mothers cat is a little different he like my mother is constantly outgoing and slightly obsessive compulsive. The family that I cat sit for the cat is so much like the wife very uptight and anxious. Get the color cat you want but when it comes to temperment of the cat treat it affectionatly and lovingly and will be the same way.
Siamese cats are great. They have a personality all their own. Siamese cats that are raised with love and affection will be your best friend. They get very attached to one person and can be possessive. They are so much fun as they are typically very playful and affectionate. I have had several Siamese during my life and each one was great. My last one died a few months ago of a bowel rupture (she was 14 when she died). There are several breeds of Siamese. And yes, you can find them in shelters or animal rescue groups. My current cat is a lilac point Himalayan that I got from a county shelter. I've had her since 1998 and she's 15 now.

No comments:

Post a Comment