Sunday, August 2, 2009

What can I put on a sore on my kittens neck to help it heal?

My 10 month old orange tabby has scratched himself raw on his neck under his chin. Why would he do that and what can I put on it that he wont get sick licking? I don't believe he has fleas, he's an indoor cat and I havent seen any sign of them. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. I clipped his nails so they aren't so sharp now.
Answers:
If anything you might want to take him to the vet so they can check for a skin infection. My puppy had one and he did the same thing to himself. He was put on antibiotics and it cleared up within a week and hasn't come back(this was 4 months ago). Good luck and I hope he gets better!!
sav for man or beast.
neosporin
If it's under his chin and he can't reach it you can put regular antibiotic ointment on it, just like you would if it were on your body. It won't hurt him and it will help it heal up. You should also go ahead and give him a flea bath, and try to find out if something is irrating his neck that is making him scratch it, otherwise it's likely to happen again.
Okay go to the store and go where they sell lotion and things and look for a green square container called Bag Balm, not sure if I spelled it right. This will help and is safe to use on all animals. You can find it at Wal-Mart or at your local pet store.
I had a cat that did the same thing,and we tried everything to keep him from scratching, but we finally ended up taking him to the vet. They gave us some medicine that cleared up the raw area, the cat had, and that took care of it.
I used the equate antibiotic cream from wal mart behind my cats ear and healed great.
call your vet and ask for otamax, (spelling my not be correct) my fiancee works for a vet and they pass this stuff of like candy. Its a topical ointemnt, and its used for everything! Scratches, bites, ear mites, its great stuff! It comes in a tube with a long red cap. Also for his nails, you may want to look into rubber nail caps that glue and fit over their natural nails. Its a safe alternative to having them declawed and would help with the scatching.
Joe you can use neosporen.but have the cat checked for worm yes worm if it's a scalely flakie spot thats ring worm it happens from other cats or even outside from the dirt but you can use neosporen rub it in good and it will heal but go see the vet she might have a allergy too if you have rugs

No comments:

Post a Comment