Sunday, August 2, 2009

What can I do with my cat?

We've got this cat, she's lovely and we've had her for about three years. My problem is this, we've just bought a place at the seaside and are there all the time at weekends and when the kids are on holiday. Running two homes is costing us a fortune and I can't afford expensive cattery fees. My mum is poorly and, even though she would, I don't want to keep relying on her to feed the cat. What can I do. Can the vet give her something to help her on the long 300 mile journey? Should I get rid of my cat? I need advice please.
Answers:
I don't think you need to get rid of the cat as long as you are home with her the majority of the time. A weekend at home, by herself, is fine. There are large self-despensing food and water containers that you can buy where all you have to do is fill it all the way up and as she eats/ drinks, it will refill itself. And you can set out an extra litter box as well so she has clean litter. I don't think you should cart her back and forth from home to home as cats don't like drastic change. It would only upset her. If you don't think you're spending as much time at home, then perhaps it is time to rehome your cat. Keep the cat's happiness in mind. If she is alone often, perhaps you should rehome her as cats are social. Otherwise, the large self-refilling food/water jugs are a great idea.
Leave out some dry cat food for her on the weekends. We do that with ours when we leave for a few days and they always have a little bit of food left so we know they didn't go hungry at all. Then on the longer weekends (holidays) ask a friend or neighbor you trust if they don't mind putting some food out for her.

I wouldn't want to bring the cat on the 300 mile road trip. That may stress out the cat more than leaving her home alone for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment