Sunday, August 2, 2009

What can I put in the litter tray to stop it smelling?

My last cat got ran over which I am still very upset about. I am getting two kittens in few weeks and I don't want them to go outside unless I am with them so they will be using the litter tray a lot more
Answers:
I found the perfect product that I've used for years and know dozens of other people that use it. It is a product called FRIDGE IT carbon odor absorbers. It is a little purple cube with an incredible activated carbon filter inside that is really, really, great. The carbon literally absorbs and eliminates the odors and works for a long time. It works so much better than baking soda and all those sprays and fragrances that just cover up smells and doesn't get rid of them. Also, alot of sprays have warning statements about being eye irritant. and gels and oils that say keep away from fabric, etc. and just don't eliminate odors. Just clip a couple of these on the litter box. I use this product everywhere including car (smoke and pet smells), storage, closets, my fridge and also under sinks, near trash and have friends that use it on cat litter box and also diaper pails - it's that good. I really recommend it. You can buy it in kitchen gadget sections in stores like walmart and linens and things. I also think camping world sells it. Definitely worth trying
you can get freshener to sprinkle on but this could deter them using it really
Buy this...

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?d...
why wont you let them out?..cats need to go out,its natural.as for the smell,dont use one?
try cleaning it
There are some low odour cat litters around. A squirt or two of Flash from a spray bottle helps too.
just make sure you clean it regularly and us like fresh step it works well but the most important thing is to clean it
Baking soda seems to be a common thing to mix with the litter. I've never done it, though. I scoop multiple times a day, and fully clean the box weekly.

With kittens, you may be more inclined to fully cleaning the box more often. When I fostered kittens (8 weeks old), I used clay based litter, and pan liners. Emptied %26 renewed the litter every day. Went through a lot of liners %26 litter that way, but it worked rather well.

Thank you for keeping your new kittens indoors. Perhaps consider an outdoor enclosed "catiary" planted with trees and grass so the cats can have the best of both worlds without harm to themselves.
http://cats.about.com/od/outdoorenclosur...
i cant remeber wat that brand is it controls the odors and sorry about ur cat
baking soda should cut down on the smell.
I dont really understand letting your cats roam freely...in fact the humane society here suggests keeping your cats indoors. I imagine it has much to do with where you live. I live in a large apartment complex in themiddle of the city, I would never let my cats outdoors without me being with them. Why would it be so bad to keep them inside? My cats are safe, happy, loving cats with no problem whatsoever. Unless you consider a longer , healthier life span a problem.


Im sorry, that wasn't directed towards the questioner, but one of the answers here, sort of set me off.

The arm and hammer litter seems to work great for me. I have three cats.
I have found that the scoopable litter, Tidy Cats for multiple cats helps the box be less stinky. The crystal litters work well, too. For kittens, because they're paws are small and tender, I'd choose something with small granules rather than regular clay litter. This will encourage them to use the box.

However, the best way to keep the litter box from being stinky is to change the food you're feeding them. I have found through experience that IAMS dry leaves the litter box less stinky than any other food, premium food or any others. Canned food makes it the stinkiest. I had to go out of town and while I was gone my husband changed the food to whatever cheap food he could get. The house stunk badly. When we changed them back to IAMS dry, the smell went away within one day. Keep in mind that right after one of the cats takes a dump it will smell, so you can get either Febreeze air freshener or X-O to eliminate the smell. I also spray X-O on the litter whenever I clean the box.
They sell something called litterbox freshener at petco. Im a pet sitter and I love the stuff!!! My cats have never had a problem with it either.
baking soda is good. Safe too.
Shake and vac always used to work - Not sure if they still sell the stuff though
I'm very sorry about the loss of your cat and I can understand why you want to keep your new kittens inside. I hate litter boxes and found that the litter that worked best for me is the silicone bead type that you can find in pet stores under several brands. Get the kind that is square-shaped, the round shaped beads roll allover the floor. It is more expensive but can last up to 4 weeks. It has no scent itself (I hate scented litters as much as I hate the smell of cat urine) and it absorbs all of the urine smell very effectively until it really needs to be changed. It is not a clumping style litter. I have one very large cat, so I bought an extra large litter box, use a plastic liner and then put down the absorbent pad that comes with the litter. I use two bags of the litter at a time because my cat is so big and really likes to dig. It does last me the entire 4 weeks. You still have to scoop the poop daily though.

I've found this is the only litter I can actually stand to have around. The box has absolutely no smell unless you go too long on changing it.
bleach. change the litter so it is fresh for your new babies.
Go to petco and get Americas finest...it is made of corn..it work the best it clumps very well and it absorbs the odor...I have 2 cats and I would never but anything else.
So sorry about your loss. I don't blame you for not wanting to let the two little ones out without supervision. We put a little bit of baking soda in with the litter and that helps control the smell. Scoop the litter at least once a day, we scoop ours out multiple times a day and that should help as well.
Start with backing soda. Most cats do not mind it, and it is a natural odor absorber. Also, you can get litter with odor absorbing pellets. I use pine shavings as kitty litter, and have very little odor with 6 indoor cats. I also clean thier boxes twice a week, minimum, and wash the boxes with water and backing soda once a month.

Good luck
buy the pet litter that is for "multiple cats". When I change the litter box I put in some baking soda (just a tad).on the bottom.
Baking Soda
I've tried lots of products, from different litters through to the powder you sprinkle in and deodorising air freshners. In my experience, there is only one thing that really works and that's Catsan litter. It is more expensive than most others but it really works and we get no smells at all from the tray now. Plus, you're not buying any other deodorising products so it's not as expensive as it may seem.
shake and vac
Wood based litter is a good option.
I put my cat tray in a bag, line it with newspaper and then put a scoop of cat litter. My cat will only use it once. I change the newspaper and litter after every use, and if the bag gets holed so it leaks, I renew that after cleaning the tray with disinfectant. And then there is no problem with odour.
I found that using Catsan cat litter was very good at eliminating odours. It is a little more pricey than other cat-litter, but its well worth it. Also sprinkling over shake-n-vac works.

No comments:

Post a Comment