Sunday, August 2, 2009

What can I do to get kitty to stop urinating on my stuff?


Answers:
Once a cat urinates on something, even if you wash it, the cat can still smell their urine, which is like a trigger in their head to say "oh yeah, I went here last time...I'll go here again"

Well, the only way to really get this to stop is to get rid of the items the cat has already urinated on. If you cannot get rid of them, hide them away in a closet with a tight door.

Watch your kitty. Usually when their nose is going, they're looking for a place to go potty. Pick up kitty and put him/her in the litter box. If it comes out of the litter box, watch it carefully and if you see it squat, grab it and put it back in the litter box. Eventually, the cat will realize that is where he/she is supposed to go.

It's tedious but it works as long as you are willing to take the time with the cat.

Good luck!
It's hard because it's in their heads. One of my cats has been doing the same thing because now I have a dog and baby so he's pissed off. There are strays you can buy to spray on the areas the cat is peeing but I have heard from some people that they don't work. My vet told me that aside from checking to make sure the cat has nothing physically wrong with it there are pills you can give the cat but nothing is 100% effective. I have had to resort to trying to keep my cat out of the area he likes to pee or just cleaning it up after he goes. Very hard because unlike a dog you practically never catch them when they're doing it and scolding them means absolutely nothing to them.
You know what i had the same problem so i called petco and they told me to get some urine gone or something like that and it should stop the spraying, the other day i bought some woolite for pet odor they say to spray it wherever the cat urinated and it should get the smell out and it will discourage them from resoiling the same spot i have to say i am keeping my fingers crossed but it seems to work. I know how alot of people will tell you to spay and or neuter your pets and that is true but this is a quick fix until you can do that. Oh and that woolite has a good smell to it.
You don't say how old the kitty is so all I can say is. Make sure the kitty litter is changed and that he/she knows where it is and they can climb into the kitty litter with ease. Also what works is if you have baking soda. Add a little to the litter mix it up makes the litter smell fresh the kitty likes that. Also when the kitty uses the litter box appraise the kitty give a treat. If they don't use the box tell the kitty no and bad and put the kitty in the box and show gently how to use it. Scrape the paw back and forth in imitation on how to do it right way. Don't harm the kitty be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment