Sunday, August 2, 2009

What Can I do if my brother is allergic to cats, but we want one?

I have heard, about getting him to an allergist and getting him on medication, hepa air filter, and getting a short haired cat, not keeping him in bedroom etc
Answers:
hells wrong with you? a cat allergy is non-refundable no maater how many air filters you buy, the cats getting to him. It is the same as you having a peanut allergy and your kitchen will only have peanut butter, and your bed is made out of peanut butter, and all your possesions out of peanut bother. as someone with a cat allergy, I think getting a cat is asking for trouble
all the things you mentioned are worth checking out
i'm sorry, but the fact that your brother has allergies would tell me that he would be more important than chancing his life.
Give your brother away.
Go to the regular doctor and get a script for Zyrtec, it works wonders for animal allergies!
You can do all that, but you never know how he will react.

Some shelters, humane societies, etc will let you "test run" an animal in your house to see how it goes... I would try that first.

Is there another type animal you can get to compromise?
other than what you stated, allergy shots can help. also, it shouldn't bother him if he doesn't play with the cat. we have guinea pigs, which i am allergic to, but they never bother me because i just stay away from them. unless his allergies are really severe, he should be ok as long as he keeps his distance, even without shots/medication. air filter is still a good idea though
i love cats but my allergies don't ....good luck and when u find an answer please let me know......
i am also allergic to long haired animals i had 2 dogs that was long haired and i just could not get rid of them so i went to the doctor and he put me on pills for allerigies and it does work.
get either a short hair or no hair cat and there is alergy medicine you can take if neccesary.
...you know. I had a friend whose brother was allergic to some cats but not all.you might want to ask him if he's always allergic to them. If not- you just need to find a cat he's not allergic to.

If he's allergic to the fur- then you can always get a hairless cat or something that doesn't shed- like a cornish rex...

if its mild allergies then medication could help

however- most people are allergic to the dander of cats- in which case you'd be more or less out of luck. IF the allergies are mild- you can do things like very regular dusting and vacuming, using a HEPA filter to purify the air...and making sure yoru Air conditioner has a hepa filter...


ALTHOUGH- if he's very allergic- I'd consider if his daily misery is worth getting a kitty? it might not be all that fair to him.
If he is allergic then there isnt anything you can do other than buy a low allergy dog??? A poodle is supposed to be the best. Its not fair to your brother or you health to introduce a cat especially if he is going to be in agony. Once he moves out or you do then get your cat, but even then he may find it hard to visit you if the cat is inside. I would dearly love a cat but Im in the same boat as your brother. It may not be just the hair that he is allergic to it could well be the cats skin that excretes oils that are bad too. I went to my friends house who has a hairless cat, and tho it obviously didnt have hair it was the cats skin itself that was the problem. Love your bro now and love the cat another time hun. xoxoxoxo Good Luck to you
What could possibly possess you to get a cat knowing that your brother is distressed by allergy? Are you so self-centered as that? Please use a bit of commom sense. Get your cat when you are grown and on your own. Think of other people, not just yourself.
Allergies are not fun. They can get worse and worse with repeated exposure. Nothing indoors would help as much as you would like to think. The cat would need to stay outside. If you love your brother, though, find another pet that he not allergic to and get that. Get a cat when you have a place of your own. P.S. It is usually the saliva on the fur that people are allergic to so short hair won't make that much difference. Sorry!
They are making non-allergenic cats.but they are VERY expensive
1. I've heard it's the dander on the cat not the actual cat hair that makes a person allergic to them. Short haired cats, I believe, are worse for allergies than long hair cats.

2. Keep the cat out of your brother's bedroom, laundry room and etc. You may just want the cat to stay in a couple rooms.

3. Allergy shots.

Do you really want to do this to your brother. Having a cat and having allergies to it will definitely make your brother miserable with or without allergy shots and etc.
You must be construed.You all share the same home so its his home too.He should be able to enjoy his home also.If you had a allergy to nuts my sure you would expect them to be construed of you health a have nothing with nuts around
I love cats, and am allergic. I've had them all my life. First of all, don't touch them if you aren't willing to wash your hands immediately afterward EVERY time. You can still be affectionate, letting them rub against you if you don't spread their "dander" by touching the spots or rubbing any skin they've also rubbed. Keep the room of the person who is allergic always closed, and invest in a room "ionizer" or air cleaner if the cat is in an enclosed area. Keep items the animal lays upon refreshed or washed often, if possible. Putting foil on a piece of furniture preferred by the allergic family member will deter the cat away from that piece of furniture. It may seem a little cruel, but pets can learn boundaries, if humans offer guidelines. Discourage the cat from laying on areas where food is served, or prepared.
He can get on allergy medicine. I am on singular and I am allergic to dogs and cats as is my son, and we have a dog and have had cats. My son is more severely allergic than I am, he gets eczema really bad when he contacts the fur, so he can't play with the dog very much. Also people who are allergic can get used to their own pet. I am severely allergic to cats; my eyes swell, I get sinus infections, they make me itch, but I can get used to a particular cat after about 3 months and my symptoms with that cat decrease. But the things you talked about are the right things to do, and exactly what the allergist told us. I can play with our dog because I am used to him, but he can't lie in my bed or get his fur all over my skin. You can also try making the cat indoor and outdoor, that way he isn't in the house all day. Cats tend to rub their fur on everything including people.
I think you answered your question the best!
My brother is highly allergic to cats and he has an asthma attack when he just enters into a house that has cats, an attack that potentially could be fatal each time. If your brother is allergic I would think you would not want to risk making him miserable, or worst case scenario threatening his life.

Your brother's well being should take precedence over the want for a cat. Maybe you could all agree on a pet that would be safe for him.
you really shouldn't get a cat if he is allergic, unless he really, really wants one. it's going to be a real pain for him. there can't be one second where he's not on medication. I don't think it's worth it.
SINGULAIR. I am allergic to cats as well, and Singulair works. AND it is a good idea to make sure that he washes his hands and face after playing with the kitty cat.
You can put him on medication, and all that, but I have a friend who is extremely allergic to cats except to one particular breed, the Devon Rex. I know that sounds really weird, but he can handle the Devon Rex with regular otc allergy medication, except scratches. When he gets scratched it gets red and kinda puffy, and he says it itches. just some food for thought
Either don't get the cat, or get rid of the brother. lol.
Really, it's not worth the pain and suffering your brother will go thru.
You said WE WANT ONE!!! So I'm guess your brother is part of this we, right? If so then there is medicine out there for allergies. I'm allergic to cats and we had two (one died, i miss him) but we still have one soon to get another (maybe a dog I want a dog, but just had to marry a cat person damnit love will mess you up every time). Regular bathing, the right diet and brushing I had no problems other than the shedding sometimes my allergies flared then but I didn't get rid of the cats. If you want something you have to sacrifice something in the long run. How much do you like your brother, haha??? hmmm, brother or cat if it was mine when I lived at home i'd choose the cat hands down any day over him

No comments:

Post a Comment