Sunday, August 2, 2009

What can I do to make it easier on my cats?

I'm getting [full grown] dog tomorrow (Bordie Collie) and I'm scared my two cats will get scared and run away.
I have a male and a female, they're both two years old.
The Border Collie is a male and will be outside.
But my cats may feel threatened by the dog.
Answers:
Below is the link to a very detailed and helpful guide on how to introduce a dog into the home where there is an existing cat. It contains far too much information to post on here, but I am sure it will contain all the information that you need.

http://www.paw-rescue.org/paw/pettips/do...

Good luck, I hope it works out well for everyone
why bother getting a dog that is just going to live outside? that's mean...

your cats were there first, so of course they'll be upset. after a while, they'll be fine.
You didn't mention whether the two cats are also outside? You will have to plan for a period of adjustment. For instance, if all of the animals were to be inside animals, you'd shut one segment away from another. Put the cats in your bedroom, for example, while the dog gets used to the rest of the house. Then switch them out (with help, of course!), so each will get a sense of the other. Pretty soon, curiosity will reign, and, with a minimum of stress, they will get to know one another.

You'll have to adapt this to your situation.

Sandy
If you never had a cat around a dog then they probably will never like then unless there smaller then the cat.

Just keep them separated for now until they can get use to one another and that's when you try to help them bound!

Good Luck !

No comments:

Post a Comment