Thursday, May 7, 2009

Taking care of cats & being pregnant?

feces--i know that when your pregnant you are not supposed to change the litter box. but what is toximia... (?) exactly. is it the littler fumes? or the feces? or them together? what is the dangerous part? we have an automatic box but sometimes it needs more littler to be added, can i do that? or when the cat accidentially gets feces on the floor, can i clean that up? does anyone know exactly what is the problem, i don't want to put my child at risk, but we want to keep the cat.
Answers:
It's the cat feces. You can clean it up as long as you are cautious and wear gloves and wash your hands after. It can only be transferred if you ingest it...I know that's pretty gross!
You can have your cat tested.

FYI: Do you have a regular self cleaning litter box or the flushing litter box? The flushing box is great, I highly recommend it! You don't have to change the box's like the self cleaning one, it actually flushes the waste either down the drain or into your toilet! And the pellets are not clay and they don't kick up dust. I really like mine so I like to share my experience with it. It's not cheap but it's worth it, and the litter and cleaning fluid are cheaper.
The BabyCentre Editorial Team answers:
Cat faeces can carry a parasite that causes toxoplasmosis, an infection that isn't serious for you but can pose a danger to your developing baby. Some birds and other animals, as well as some raw or undercooked meats, can also carry the parasite. Toxoplasmosis causes most severe damage to the fetus if a woman comes down with it in her first trimester.

Happily, the odds of contracting toxoplasmosis during pregnancy are low, and if you've had it once, you can't catch it again. What's more, it's rare for a woman to be infected for the first time during pregnancy. If you live with cats, the likelihood is even higher that you've already contracted the disease and developed an immunity to it. Read our article on toxoplasmosis for more information.

Experts recommend that pregnant women should avoid emptying the cat litter tray, but that it should be cleared every day by someone else. If you have to do it yourself, always wear gloves. Wear gloves when you're gardening, too, to cut down the risk of infection.

There is a blood test which can show whether you have had toxoplasmosis. If you are worried, speak to your GP about it.
it part from the littler but also the urin from the cat. If you must change your litter box usea mask that what I did. But do try to get someone else to change it for you it can cause harm to the ubborn baby.
I made my husband change the box, or I wore plastic gloves when I did it, and tried not to inhale...ha. Adding litter wouldn't be bad, it's just the feces and dirty litter you have to worry about. Always wash your hands, of course.
Toxoplasmosis is a parasitic disease that you can get from cat feces, raw or undercooked meat, and from drinking water that has been contaminated. You should not scoop the cat box if you are pregnant because this can be passed from mother to fetus and can be very serious for the fetus. Go to www.wikipedia.com type in toxoplasmosis and read all about it. Have someone else in your house empty the litter until after your baby is born.
its not toxemia BUT toxoplasmosis, which causes "brain rotting" in the undeveloped fetus think of it kinda like a hard coated candy that you suck on for a long time until you get to the center which is different then the outer shell well anyway the toxoplasmosis, is in the cats feces----no you can not clean up cat feces whether on the floor or in the litter box toxoplasmosis is INHALED in your lungs minute partcles unseen by the naked eye once inhaled in your lungs goes into your blood stream circulates in your blood and crosses the blood barrier in your placenta to your unborn child " atttacking" the unborn harmless fetus's brain HAVE YOUR SPOUSE OR ANOTHER ADULT CHANGE THE LITTER OUTSIDE AWAY FROM YOU!!!!
it's a parasite from the faeces.but when I was pregnant, I was just cautious that I wasn't exposed to any...and I was fine. I have 2 cats and it ws a bit concerning as it was my first pregnancy, but in the end it was all good.
Have your hubby do the cat box.. Do not touch anything to do with the cat box without gloves and long sleeves..!!! It is also in the amonia the cat puts off when they go to the bathroom. Sorry, but the feces on the floor will have to stay there until hubby gets home. I love animals too I have 4 dogs. My hubby is allergic to cats, but I would love to have one. You should be able to add litter as long as you do not breath in the fumes. My mother-in-law had 9 cats, I refused to go to her house while I was pregnant and she lived next door. Congrats and I hope this helps.
If you have been handling litter up to your pregnancy, you've probably already been exposed to toxoplasmosis and have built up an immunity to it. If possible, it's still a good idea to have someone else deal with the litter box. If that's not possible, then just make sure to wear rubber gloves and a mask that covers your nose and mouth.
I always got someone else to do the trays for me to be on the safe side.
Wear gloves if you do them.

No comments:

Post a Comment